Extrasolar planets- planets existing outside the solar system
Astrophysicist- astronomer who observes the physical properties of celestial bodies
Summary:
After observing many extrasolar planets, scientists have discovered that the atmospheres of these planets are not too different from Earth's atmosphere. This motivated scientists to find out the next question, "Can these planets support life?" Due to the fact these planets are millions of light years away, we are not able to see the planets up close but telescopes help us estimate their size and orbit. Through lots of research we have found out that the weather on these planets may actually be suitable to human life. Apparently the first extrasolar planet was discovered in the mid-1900s using a "wobble" method. This method locates planets based on their gravitational effects on their star. Using this method many planets have been located but we are still uncertain whether they actually will ever harbor human life.
Discussion:
I chose this article because when I read the title it stood out to me. I wondered, "Is it really possible for humans to survive on a planet besides Earth?" The topic discussed in this article is important because at some point we need to know whether it is possible for humans to ever exist on a planet besides Earth. Also, eventually space on Earth will become limited and we may need to find another place to stay. I think that would be amazing if humans ever found another place to live. Although there is no guarantee that extrasolar plants are human friendly, I think it is important that we find out before it is too late. This would be a major discovery, but I do think people would be hesitant to take a risk and actually go to another planet. And lastly, on a more general note, I think this article displays how afraid we can be of change sometimes. If we never take the risk and try to find out if life on another planet is possible, we may all die because we didn't have the guts to try something new. This is an important matter to be considered and I think we should give this idea a chance.
Questions:
Are there any other ways we can find out more about extrasolar planets? (besides using telescopes)
How much longer will it take for scientists to discover whether life on another planet is possible? How much more research will it take?
Image:
Citation:
Valencia, Diana, and Dimitar D. Sasselov. "Planets We Could Call Home."
EBSCOhost. N.p., Aug. 2010. Web. 15 Oct. 2010.
<http://web.ebscohost.com/ehost/
detail?vid=3&hid=110&sid=915f459a-fd1e-411b-aa6d-156d2363bc0c%40sessionmgr112&bda
ta=JnNpdGU9ZWhvc3QtbGl2ZQ%3d%3d#db=sch&AN=52111903>.
Interesting topic! :)
ReplyDeleteI've always wondered the same thing too--Can life be supported on other planets, as well?
Your summary was clear and easy to understand; I could follow what you were saying the whole time through.
But I have a few questions regarding the article:
How can scientists be sure the atmosphere on those planets is currently, as in NOW, still the same as the atmosphere on Earth? Since they are millions of light years away, aren't they technically looking at the past, or the way the planets were millions of years ago as opposed to now?
But overall, great blog post! It was nice to read. :)
Great job! This topic is really interesting to read about because...there's no definite answer (yet) :D
ReplyDeleteIt's so weird to think how large the universe is and how tiny Earth in the whole scheme of things. Personally, I've always thought that in a place as big as the universe, there must be life and some place suitable for life other than Earth.
The summary is easy to understand and I think you made some interesting points in the discussion.
One question -
Were these planets found using the Webble method that you talked about?
And to Archana's comment - Your question is really interesting...
good job!
-catherine
p.s. the font of the post was a little bit hard to read XD just a thought...